• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Groups

Our FLGS
UK Bloggers Group
Tale of Painters
Bell of Lost Souls, Warhammer and Wargames News
From the Warp

Followers

Follow by Email

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Sanguinis Extremis

A Horus Heresy Project

Mordheim Campaign 2013

Follow the story of a Marienburg Warband

Minotuars

A Space Marine Project

Warmahordes

Tactics, Modelling and Painting with Privateer Press

Word Bearers

A Chaos Space Marine Project

WIP - Minotaur Thunder Hammer


My Minotuars army will have a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield equipped squad of Terminators. These guys will be Asterion Moloc's personal bodyguard and as such I wanted them to be absolute beasts. They needed to be bigger and meaner than your regular Terminator.

One of the first things I could think of was to give them some seriously heavy weapons. These guys are the Bulls of the Minotaurs after all.




Here is a picture of the very first scale shot against one of the Bulls. It is big... You'll notice each iteration made it bigger still. At this point I had replaced a Deathwing Thunder Hammer's actual hammer head and the cross piece. I swapped out the haft for something taller. I added the bulls head to the rear face of the hammer to add a Minotuar motif to the hammer. I considered calling this done... However, I now felt that the hammer was off balance with the side used for swinging now being too light..


To counter the weight of the bulls head I overbalanced it the other way... At this stage it started looking a bit over the top.


I then added some panels to break up the large open spaces of the new hammer head. This helped a lot I think to make it look less like a cartoon weapon.


RIVETS!!! Something has to hold all those plates onto the hammer. Here you can also see my first iteration of the handle detailing. Again I reworked this a lot as it was crucial to making the final weapon look pretty.


This time I used my tube tool.. At which point I realised I should have done this before attaching the haft at the beginning of the build! Annoying but this is how we learn.

After messing around with the tube tool on a few attempts at the handle I broke the hammer from the haft by accident... I took a break from working on this before I trashed it completely.


With the haft unattached from the hammer head using the tube tool was simple and I achieved a good finish very quickly.

I will always do this first now!!


Here it is reattached with a little more detail added to fix the break. Also you can see how the actual Bulls are coming along. These guys best look good because I have spent a lot of time converting them.


The finished product.





Now I need five hammer for the unit so I am going to be casting these up. Building this four more times would have driven me a little nuts.


Now I have the pleasure of the casting process driving me crazy ;)

-Martok

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.