• RSS
  • Delicious
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

Groups

Our FLGS
UK Bloggers Group
Tale of Painters
Bell of Lost Souls, Warhammer and Wargames News
From the Warp

Followers

Follow by Email

My Blog List

Blog Archive

Sanguinis Extremis

A Horus Heresy Project

Mordheim Campaign 2013

Follow the story of a Marienburg Warband

Minotuars

A Space Marine Project

Warmahordes

Tactics, Modelling and Painting with Privateer Press

Word Bearers

A Chaos Space Marine Project

WIP - Refinery Terrain


A rare feature today. i have been working on terrain! I have had some bits and pieces stashed away for terrain and I finally took the plunge and started throwing them together. I thought I would start brave and try to build something big. My thinking on this is that I would run into every issue possible and thus learn a lot more about terrain then starting small.... First thing I have learnt is that I should have sketched this out before building it. Secondly that I need to research how buildings are actually constructed for more realistic structures.




The first stages were to attach the styrofoam block to the base. I did that with wood glue but if anyone has any suggestions for a better adhesive for this step I would appreciate the advice. After this I cut the relevant hols in the upper platform for the smoke stacks (cardboard tubes) . At least point I could dry fit the whole thing and check out the scale etc.


Now I moved on to some detailing. Detailing took a long, long time. First off I had to make the rivets with a 1mm hole punch which took an evening in front of the TV to get done. I laid down a traed plate to the platforms and then framed them with plasticard. This plasticard frame was then riveted with 1cm gaps... now I think this gives good detail however, i think next time I shall increase the spacing of these rivets as this drove me a little insane.


After adding some I-beams to the underside of the top platform as girders it was ready for another dry fit. At this point I attached the door which can be seen better below.


This was not a scratch piece but a bunker door I picked up from antenocitis workshop. This really helped save some time although I may consider making one of my own to cast up...


Here is a scale shot after I had done all the filling work etc. If I am honest I should have spent longer on this stage as I moved onto the rivets too quickly and some of the gaps were not adequately filled...


LOOK AT ALL THOSE RIVETS!!!!


I decided that the piece was a bit light on detail so I added this machine/generator for the outside of the building. Hopefully by the time the piece is finished I shall add a few more little bits of interest to the model. However, first off I need to get some railings and ladders added to the model which will happen pretty much whenever my order for more supplies shows up.


- Martok

2 comments:

  1. White Metal Games9 October 2013 at 11:56

    Looking good. How do guys get up the second level? Or maybe only jump pack mechanics work on this rig. =) Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it bad that I really want to make some jump pack mechanics now? That sounds like a cool unit :D Nah I shall be adding ladders with cages but they are currently on order awaiting delivery.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.